AO Code PAN CARD – The importance and jurisdiction of AO codes are directly linked to taxation, as these codes tell the appropriate authorities what tax laws apply to an individual. If the individual is a resident of this country, they may have to pay taxes as per a set of rules, but if they are a company then the tax slabs and rules may be different. Such differences may exist even among civilians as the AO code will be different for those serving in the Army or Air Force. When someone applies for a new PAN card, there is a part of the application that asks them to enter the AO code. It is asked on the top right side of the PAN application form. The AO code consists of four elements: Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, and AO Number. The AO code is meant to identify the tax jurisdiction the applicant will fall under. The abbreviation AO stands for Assessing Officer.
AO Code PAN CARD
PAN Card is an essential document for Indian citizens; It plays an important role in filing income tax. The card also helps in purchasing items like real estate. The applicant has to fill out the AO code section during the PAN card application. The AO code is mandatory and helps in identifying the tax jurisdiction of the cardholder. AO stands for Assessing Officer, and AO Code stands for Authority, which is attached to your taxation. Through this code, the Income Tax Department gets to know about what fee each person should be charged. For residents, the tax department will request tax in accordance with the rules governing the individual. For companies, the law will describe the amount to be paid. Individual tax payment AO code varies by instance. People serving in the military or government will pay differently from other self-employed or in other industries.
What is AO Code For PAN Card? Know Here
AO Code stands for Assessing Officer Code under whose jurisdiction the applicant’s Income Tax Return (ITR) comes. This AO code has to be mentioned in the form while applying for a new PAN card. The AO code is essential for income tax assessment as it reflects the tax laws applicable to the individual and in whose jurisdiction the assessment will be covered. In this article, we look at the AO code in detail. An assessing Officer is a person appointed by the Income Tax Department for the purpose of assessing the taxation of the people. These Assessing Officers were identified with the help of AO codes. Also, a table has been designed in Form 49A where the AO code can be identified. AO code consists of four components, as described below.
Also Check Aadhar Card link
Components of AO Code PAN Card
- Area Code: Area code helps in identifying the company or individual.
- AO Type: AO Type helps the Income Tax Department to identify the category of PAN cardholder, company, individual or service personnel, or any person who is not a citizen of India.
- Range Type: Range Type is based to find the Permanent Address of the PAN Cardholder. They are being assigned a range type which helps in identifying the circle or ward in which they live.
- AO Number: AO Number is a numerical value that is published on the website of NSDL and is the last element of the AO code.
AO Code Selection Criteria
- In the case of individuals: If a person applies for a new PAN card whose source of income is from salary or business then in such case, the AO code will be either at a residential address or business address.
- In the case of non-individuals: Individuals refer to Trusts, Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs), Government bodies, Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), Companies, etc. In such cases, the organization will consider the business address to determine its AO code.
Also Check Apply for PAN Card Online
Types of AO Codes
- International Taxation: These are AO codes for a person who is not a resident of India and it is necessary to select this AO code to apply for a PAN card or any company incorporated in India.
- Non-International Taxation (Mumbai): These are the AO codes for people and companies who are residing in Mumbai or registered in Mumbai.
- Non-International Taxation (Outside Mumbai): These are the AO codes for individuals or companies that are located in India and outside Mumbai.
- Defense Personnel: These are AO codes to identify a person belonging to the Air Force or the Indian Army. Under the category, there are only two forms of AO code one is for Air Force and the other is for the Indian Army.
Also Check E Pan Card
Steps to Find Your AO Code Online
- Identify whether you qualify as a salaried individual, non-salaried individual, or non-individual applicant.
- Select the residential/office address based on the criteria you meet.
- AO code lists are available on both the Protean eGov Technologies Limited website and the UTIITSL website
- You can search your city alphabetically on the website. Select the city and read the description/jurisdiction.
- Find the one that matches your office area/company type/profession/income.
- Note down the area code, AO type, range type, and AO number and you will have your AO code.
Also Check Spandana Ration Card Status
Steps to Know your Jurisdictional Assessing Officer
- To view the Income Tax Ward or Circle, the applicant has to visit the home page of the Income Tax Filing website.
- Log in to the account by doing e-filing by entering PAN details and registered mobile number.
- On entering the details correctly, click on the “Submit” button to receive the “One Time Password” (OTP) on the registered mobile number.
- Now, enter the OTP and validate the process to see your jurisdiction.
- Now, the applicant will be directed to a page “Know your Jurisdictional Assessing Officer (AO) where you check your area code, AO type, Range code, AO number, jurisdictional address, and email id.
- Re-visit the same portal and login with your e-filing account by entering PAN details, password and captcha code.
- After logging into the portal, click on the “Profile Settings” tab and select the “My Profile” option where you will find the contact details.
- Next click on the “PAN Details” tab.
- After clicking on the PAN Details tab, you can view “Jurisdiction Details” and also view your Income Tax Ward or Circle.
Official Website Click Here