Wondering how to apply for PAN Card online? Wondering how it’s possible to get your pan card online? Wonder no more! In this article, we will teach you everything you need to know about the process of applying for PAN Card online. From the required documents to the steps involved in filling up the form, we have it all covered. So, whether you wish to apply for a new PAN Card or update an existing one, make sure to read on for all the details!
- 1 PAN Card
- 2 What are the Uses of PAN Card?
- 3 What is the Eligibility criteria for PAN Card?
- 4 How to apply for a PAN Card Online?
- 5 How to Apply for a PAN Card Online on UTIITSL Website
- 6 How to Apply for a PAN Card Offline?
- 7 Required Documents for PAN Card
- 8 How to check the status of your PAN Card application?
- 9 What information is available on a PAN card?
- 10 How to correction PAN Card information Online?
- 11 How to apply for a duplicate PAN card if it is lost?
- 12 How to Link PAN Card number with your bank account?
- 13 What are the charges required to apply for a PAN card?
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number and it is a number that is used to identify every taxpayer in India. The Income Tax department of India assigns PANs to people who need to report their income and taxes. Your PAN card is a card that holds all your tax-related information. This means the Income Tax Department can keep track of everything you earn and spend.
PAN is not just a card for filing income taxes, it is also needed for other things such as opening a bank account, applying for a debit/credit card, getting loans, and getting insurance. Not having a PAN card can lead to many problems. For example, it can make it difficult to open a bank account or get loans. It can also prevent you from filing your taxes correctly. You need to use your PAN card when exchanging foreign currency. You have to submit a copy of your PAN card when buying or selling vehicles, property, or money.
What are the Uses of PAN Card?
To be aware of the various uses for the PAN card, you should read up on it. This is because the PAN card is mandatory for a few transactions and it’s important to be aware of that.
- Helps to Start a Business
- Deduction in Taxation
- Opening a Demat Account or Bank Account
- Income Tax Returns Filing
- Investing and Purchasing RBI Bonds or Insurance
- Buying Foreign Currency
- Transaction of Listed or Unlisted Securities
- Purchasing or Selling Immovable Property
- Purchasing or Selling a Four Wheeler Vehicle
- Cash Deposits, Pay Orders, Banker’s Cheque, Bank Drafts
What is the Eligibility criteria for PAN Card?
If you are still contemplating your PAN card application, here is a list of entities who qualify for PAN card eligibility under Section 139A of the Income Tax Act.
- Every individual with a total annual income exceeding the limit for non-taxable income.
- A business owner with more than Rs.5 lakh annual turnover.
- Every Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), where the Karta or family head is the signatory.
- Any company, whether a sole proprietorship, LLP, AOP/BOI, etc.
- Any charitable organisation, trust, or association.
All Indian citizens and NRIs need to get a PAN card. This card is used to track tax payments. Almost all Indian citizens and NRIs are required to get a PAN card. This card is used to track tax payments.
However, with so many different categories of PAN card holders, authorities have come up with certain segregations to differentiate PAN card types.
Who can apply for a PAN card?
In order to apply for a PAN card, all Indian citizens have to have some form of income. The process of obtaining a PAN card is mandatory for every taxpayer in India or anyone who wants to file an income tax return.
How to apply for a PAN Card Online?
Here is a step-by-step guide on the procedure to apply for a PAN card online.
- Step 1: Go to the official portal of UTIITSL or NSDL.
- Step 2: Click on “Apply online”.
- Step 3: Now, click on “Application Type” and choose from Form 49A or Form 49AA from the drop-down list. Note the former is for Indian applicants while the latter is for foreign applicants.
- Step 4: Next, select the category matching your identity from the types discussed previously.
- Step 5: Fill in the remaining mandatory fields, enter the security code and click on “Submit”.
- Step 6: On the next screen, click on “Continue with the PAN Application Form”.
- Step 7: Next, you will be redirected to your selected type of application form. Fill this in with accurate details.
- Step 8: Upload copies of all required documents and select “Submit”.
- Step 9: Make the necessary payment of PAN card fees, download the receipt and click on “Continue”.
- Step 10: Next, you will need to authenticate your Aadhaar number, after which you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Step 11: Enter the OTP to complete your application.
After completing the above procedure, you will get an acknowledgement slip in PDF format. Don’t get confused if it needs a password to open because your date of birth is in DD/MM/YY format.
How to Apply for a PAN Card Online on UTIITSL Website
The procedure to apply for your PAN card on the UTIITSL website is similar to the one above. The only difference is that you have to first visit https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/PAN/#one.
Once you fill in the details and get the acknowledgement receipt you will need to take a print out of the same and mail it to your nearest UTIITSL office along with copies of the required documents.
How to Apply for a PAN Card Offline?
Now, for any of you wondering how to apply for a PAN card without internet access, here is an alternative offline process.
- Step 1: You can visit any district-level PAN agency to get your required PAN card application form.
- Step 2: Fill in all mandatory fields. If you are applying as an individual entity, affix 2 passport-size photographs in the space given in the acknowledgement.
- Step 3: Attach all mandatory documents and insert all the paperwork in an envelope with “APPLICATION FOR PAN-N-Acknowledgement Number” written on top of it.
- Step 4: Send the sealed envelope to the NSDL’s Income Tax PAN Services Unit.
- Step 5: Make the necessary payment to “NSDL – PAN” via demand draft.
Now that you know the detailed procedure of PAN card application, it is important to keep all the mandatory documents handy to facilitate a seamless procedure.
Required Documents for PAN Card
|Taxpaying entity||Documents required|
|Individual||ID proof, Address proof|
|Companies||Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies|
|AOP||Registration Certificate Number / Agreement copy provided by Charity Commissioner or Registrar of Co-operative Society|
|LLP||Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies, Partnership deed|
|Trusts||Registration Certificate Number issued by Charity Commissioner|
|HUF||An affidavit stating details of all coparcener, issued by the Karta|
|Foreign applicants||ID proof like OCI, PIO, copy of passport, etc., Address proof|
Once you have everything you need and have gone through the steps to get a PAN card, you might want to track the progress so that you don’t have any surprises. However, once the card is obtained, it’s better to just keep calm and stay updated on what is going on.
How to check the status of your PAN Card application?
You can check your application status by looking at your acknowledgement number. This number is sent to you after your application is processed and accepted. There are other ways to check your application status, including through the website.
Here’s how to proceed with it.
- Step 1: Visit the official portal of NSDL.
- Step 2: Select the “Track PAN Status” option.
- Step 3: Click on “PAN-New/Change Request” under “Application Type”.
- Step 4: Now, type your 15-digit acknowledgement number.
- Step 5: Enter the security code and click on “Submit”.
The next screen will display your PAN application status.
After everything is finished and you receive the document, you might be curious about what the physical card will look like. We have included some pictures of that here!
What information is available on a PAN card?
Here is a list of information available on the identity document for an individual.
- Name of cardholder
- Father’s name
- Date of birth
- 10-character PAN number
- Cardholder’s photo and signature
When it comes to a PAN card for business, there won’t be any photographs or a father’s name. Also, the date of birth is replaced with the date of company registration, while the cardholder’s name is replaced with the company name.
How to correction PAN Card information Online?
If you have any questions about how to apply for a PAN card, you can look up the instructions on our website. Just go to our website and follow the instructions until you reach Step 3. Once you reach Step 3, you will need to fill it out. Then, you will need to send it in with the required documents to the proper address.
- Under “Application Type”, click on “Changes or Correction in the existing PAN card”.
- On the next page, fill in the PAN card correction form with accurate details.
- Upload all mandatory documents and click on “Submit”.
- Complete required payment.
Now, you will receive a new acknowledgement slip. Take a print of the same and post it to NSDL’s Income Tax PAN Service Unit.
How to apply for a duplicate PAN card if it is lost?
If you are worried that your PAN card has been lost or stolen, then stop! Instead, you should apply for a duplicate of this document. Here are the steps you should follow: in the following steps after Step 2 of how to apply for a PAN card online.
- Select “Reprint of PAN card (No changes in existing PAN data)” from the drop-down menu under “Application Type”.
- Fill in all mandatory fields with proper details, upload all documents and submit.
- Pay the required fees via provided payment gateways.
The process of issuing a duplicate PAN card is similar to that followed after your previous fresh application.
Now that you own a PAN card, original or duplicate, do not forget to link it with your bank account.
How to Link PAN Card number with your bank account?
By linking your PAN card to your bank account, the IT department can see all of your financial transactions. This is where they deduct taxes from.
- Step 1: On your bank’s online application, log in to your internet banking account using your user ID and password.
- Step 2: You will find options similar to PAN registration, Service requests, or Service. Select the most suitable option.
- Step 3: Next, select from options to update or link your PAN.
- Step 4: Now, enter your PAN number and other necessary details, if any.
Upon completing the above procedure, you can expect a successful linking of your PAN and bank account within 2-7 business days.
If you have any further questions related to this document, you can contact the PAN card customer care number available on the NSDL portal.
What are the charges required to apply for a PAN card?
Applications made with an Indian address will involve a fee of Rs.93, whereas the charge for an application with foreign communication address is Rs.864. Note that these amounts are excluding GST.