International Widows’ Day : The UN recognizes June 23 as International Widows Day, which raises awareness of the condition of the many widows and their dependents around the world. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness of widows who experience injustice, discrimination, and poverty. International Widows Day was established by the UN in 2010 to increase awareness of the difficulties of widowhood. All across the world, widows experience injustice, deprivation, and stigma. The purpose of International Widows Day is to empower widows and increase awareness of the difficulties they encounter. Learn more about this day’s origins, significance, and history here.
It is a day to bring attention to the discrimination, poverty, and social isolation that many widows experience in their daily lives. This day serves as a reminder that widows need support, both emotionally and financially, to help them overcome these challenges and live fulfilling lives. There are several organizations working towards empowering widows by providing them with education, vocational training, healthcare, and legal aid. By supporting such organizations or reaching out to widows in our communities, we can make a positive impact on their lives and help them overcome the obstacles they face. Let us use this day as an opportunity to show our solidarity with widows worldwide and work towards creating a more equitable society for all.
International Widows’ Day 2023
The day’s goals are to support widows and raise awareness of their circumstances. A long-term struggle for their basic rights and dignity exacerbates the hurtful loss of a partner for a number of women. “Neediness and shamefulness looked by a huge number of widows and their wards in numerous nations” is the topic of Global Widows’ Day. The fundamental goal of the exercises is to make mindfulness about the state of widows and safeguard their privileges. The Loomba Foundation started the day to make people aware of the problem widows face. It was later adopted by the United Nations and observed as a day of action to address the “poverty and injustice” that “millions of widows and their dependents in many countries face.” This article discusses the significance, history, theme, and 2023 celebration of International Widows’ Day.
International Widows’ Day is a day set aside to raise awareness about the struggles that widows face around the world. It is a day to show support and compassion for those who have lost their spouses and are left to navigate life on their own. This day is particularly important because widows often face discrimination, abuse, and neglect, especially in certain parts of the world where cultural traditions make it difficult for them to remarry or find work. By raising awareness about these issues, we can help create a better understanding of the challenges that widows face and work towards finding solutions to help improve their lives. If you know someone who is a widow, take some time today to reach out to them and offer your support.
International Widows’ Day 2023 Details
|Article Name||International Widows’ Day 2023: History, Significance, Theme, Quiz & More|
|International Widows’ Day 2023||Click Here|
|Official Site||Click Here|
International Widows Day 2023
The 18th release of Global Widows Day will be commended on 23 June 2023. Since its inception in 2010, this day has been observed annually all over the world. In the world, widows’ severe struggles are greatly underrepresented. Through Worldwide Widows Day, the UN plans to resolve this issue.
|Day||International Widows Day|
|Established by||The Loomba Foundation|
|International Widows Day 2023 Theme||‘Innovation and technology for gender equality’|
|Objective||To empower widows and raise awareness about the injustice and poverty they are subjected to.|
International Widows Day 2023 Theme
“Innovation and technology for gender equality” is the theme of International Widows Day 2023. The United Nations announces a new theme for this day each year to highlight the difficulties faced by widows. Every one of the occasions facilitated on the day depend on that year’s Global Widows Day topic.
Here are a portion of the more established Worldwide Widows Day subjects:
- International Widows Day 2022 theme: ‘Sustainable Solutions for Widows Financial Independence.’
- International Widows Day 2021 theme: ‘Invisible Women, Invisible Problems.’
- International Widows Day 2020 theme: ‘I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights.’
- International Widows Day 2019 theme: ‘Upholding the Human Rights of Widows – The Law and Cultural Practices.’
International Widows Day History
The first year that International Widows Day was observed is 2005, when the holiday was first observed. This day was established by the Loomba Foundation to commemorate the day that Shrimati Pushpa Wati Loomba became a widow. Further information about the history of International Widows Day can be found below.
- In 2005, Widows Day was established by the Loomba Foundation.
- The goal of this day was to empower widows all over the world, who frequently have trouble making ends meet and integrating into society after their husbands’ deaths.
- The day that Lord Loomba’s mother became a widow is also commemorated on International Widows Day.
- The day was declared by the United Nations on December 21, 2010.
Check Also: SGPA to Percentage Calculator How to Convert
International Widows Day Significance
There are numerous challenges that widows face. International Widows Day is significant because it promotes better facilities and opportunities for widows and raises awareness of the challenges they face. This day recognizes the difficulties faced by widowed women and advocates for improved services for them.
Challenges Faced By Widows
On International Widows Day, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the following issues that widows frequently face in society:
- Social stigma
- Loss of income
- Mental trauma
- Bias and discrimination
Importance of International Widows Day
- It gives widows all over the world the chance to talk about their struggles.
- By demanding better facilities and opportunities for widows, Widows Day empowers all widows.
- It advocates for the upliftment of ladies and making them independent.
- Additionally, International Widows Day addresses people’s regressive views of women and their place in society.
Check Also: Car Loan Eligibility Calculator 2023
International Widows Day: Objectives
The Loomba Foundation was the driving force behind the creation of International Widows Day in 2005. This day was established with the intention of initiating a discussion and taking action regarding the plight of widows. The following is a list of some of Widows Day’s goals.
- Promoting better opportunities for widows is one of this day’s primary goals.
- Demanding a secure environment for them is another goal.
- Global Widows Day additionally means to engage ladies and assist them with becoming independent.
How to Celebrate International Widows Day?
There are numerous manners by which individuals observe Global Widows Day. In nations like the United States, Rwanda, Syria, Sri Lanka, Nepal, India, and others, this day is observed worldwide. Global Widows Day is a day to bring issues to light about the many issues looked by widows on the planet. The following are some of the ways to commemorate this day:
- Take part in the official social media campaign for Widows Day.
- Participate in seminars and conferences held to educate yourself and others about widowhood-related topics.
- Make a donation to organizations that work to help widows.
- Volunteer with assistance bunches for ladies to contact have a genuine effect in the existences of poor ladies.
In this conclusion, The day aims to highlight the discrimination and injustice that many widows face, including social isolation, poverty, and lack of access to education and healthcare. It is also a day to celebrate the courage and resilience of widows who have overcome these challenges and made significant contributions to their families and communities. Organizations around the world use this day to offer support and resources for widows in need, including legal aid, job training programs, and counseling services. By raising awareness about the struggles faced by widows, International Widows’ Day helps to promote greater understanding and compassion towards this often-overlooked group.